This week marks our 1 year anniversary at Killer Crafts & Crafty Killers. In honor of that I’m repeating the first craft project that debuted the blog because I’m sure many of you never saw it. For those of you who don’t want a patriotic themed topiary, this design can be worked in any color scheme. Enjoy! -- AP
metal, wood or ceramic container or pot, approx. 6” x 6” x 6”
15” long 5/8” wooden dowel
6” white Styrofoam® ball
1 yd. 1” wide blue print ribbon
3” x 45” piece blue gingham
scraps of red, white, and blue fabric
floral foam, enough to fit inside container
hot glue gun and glue sticks
Note: Use hot glue for all gluing except where tacky glue is indicated. Model shown made with red glitter metal container purchased from crafts store.
1. Insert dowel halfway into Styrofoam® ball. Remove dowel. Dispense glue into hole in ball. Reinsert dowel.
2. Glue floral foam inside container. Insert dowel into center of floral foam. Remove dowel. Dispense glue into hole in floral foam. Reinsert dowel.
3. Apply a thin coat of tacky glue to dowel. Wrap ribbon around dowel to cover.
4. Tear fabric into 1-1/2” x 6” strips. Place two strips wrong sides together and tie a knot at center.
5. Insert a straight pin into knot. Dip pin in tacky glue and quickly insert into Styrofoam® ball. Repeat until ball is completely covered.
6. Glue excelsor over floral foam inside container.
7. Tie blue gingham strip around container.