It’s spring! Along with the tradition of spring cleaning, many people find themselves itching to spruce up their homes this time of year. Here are a few easy and inexpensive decorating hacks.
1. Rules were meant to be broken. Today’s absolute no-no is often tomorrow’s hottest trend. So don’t be afraid to experiment, especially when it comes to paint. Remember, paint isn’t permanent. If you don’t like it, you can always repaint.
2. And speaking of rules, where is it written that ceilings have to be white? Paint your ceiling the same color as your walls, several shades lighter, or several shades darker. Or choose an accent color. Or wallpaper. Or reclaimed wood. Think of your ceiling as your fifth wall.
3. Consider painting woodwork in a contrasting color instead of white.
4. Create an accent wall with wallpaper, reclaimed wood, a contrasting paint color, a faux finish, or even a mural.
5. Mix and match contemporary furnishings and accent pieces with vintage pieces, antiques, flea market finds, craft pieces, items you’ve collected on your travels, or an eclectic combination.
6. Don’t be afraid to use bold color choices in small rooms.
7. Chandeliers are not just for dining rooms. If you love bling, consider adding a crystal chandelier to your bathroom, bedroom, or walk-in closet. On a budget? Look for faux crystal chandeliers. Even imitation crystals will sparkle, and when hung high, no one will be the wiser.
8. Bookcase shelves are for books, of course, but break up the spaces with pottery, collectibles, and framed photographs to add interest.