Killer Crafts & Crafty Killers is in its sixth year. Because our readership has grown tremendously since those early days, I’ll occasionally feature a craft that appeared several years ago. Today I’m bringing back the no-sew lacy button tote. It’s one of my favorites and super simpler to make. I chose a 9” x 12” canvas tote, but depending on the end use, you might want to go with a smaller or larger tote. The totes are available in a variety of sizes from local craft stores.
9” x 11” natural canvas tote
3/4-yd. 2” wide gathered natural Cluny lace
3/4-yd. 7/8” wide flat natural Cluny lace
7 assorted 2” natural lace medallions
assorted white, clear, and natural buttons in varying sizes
air-soluble fabric marker
1. Using the fabric marker, draw two perpendicular lines 2” from center of tote.
2. Cut the flat Cluny lace into two equal pieces. Using the fabric glue, glue the flat edge of each piece to the outside of each line, lining up the top edge with the top of the tote and wrapping the bottom edge around to the bottom of the tote.
3. Using the fabric glue, glue the gathered Cluny lace to the top edge of the tote, overlapping cut ends at center back.
4. Using the fabric glue, glue the lace medallions randomly onto the tote, two on either side and three in the middle section.
5. Using the gem glue, glue the buttons randomly around the lace medallions.