Happy Labor Day! We hope you’re all enjoying the last holiday weekend of the summer. Anastasia and the gang are off today, but for those of you who have stopped by, here are some fun facts about Labor Day:
· New York City was the setting for the first Labor Day which occurred on Tuesday Sept. 5, 1882 and was organized by the Central Labor Union.
· More than 10,000 workers protesting 16 hour workdays marched in the first Labor Day parade.
· Two years later, in 1884 the observance of Labor Day moved to the first Monday in September as other labor groups were encouraged to take part.
· June 1894, Congress voted to make Labor Day a national federal holiday.
· The photo above is of a Labor Day workers' pledge during WWII. Note the misspelling of "Material." Were were the editors?